As the saying goes.....I quit cold turkey! Well, Cannon is only 2½ years old so he really doesn't know that saying but if he did he would let you know that he gave up his paci cold turkey!
It has long been debated between me and Aaron when we would put up the fight to stop allowing Cannon to have his paci. He has only had two pacifiers his whole life (all 24+ months, ha!), the lovely green smoothie one that I gave him the day he was born and then the upgraded blue smoothie for older babies. We really never had to buy backup and emergency pacifiers because he only had one, the blue one and it stayed in his bedroom and never left the house. Cannon was good about waking up and putting (sometimes throwing)paci and Orie on his pillow where he could be reunited with them when he returned the next time to his bed.
He does great at change so I wasn't concerned but his daddy sure was. I believe Aaron thought Cannon would go off to college with his paci if we didn't break him of the habit VERY SOON. Seriously, almost all year we have talked about this and I told Aaron we would approach this subject at Christmas time when Cannon could understand that we were going to give his pacifier to Santa Claus. End of story! Don't bring it up again!
Well, we didn't have to wait until Christmas. Instead we are dealing with a very feisty two year old having meltdowns and who loves to fight us on going to bed some nights. Cannon will get into his bed at night and throws his two favorite things across the room, paci and Orie (his paci-animal minus the paci attached). I think he thinks this will make a statement that he is mad but I turned it around and made it a lesson after about the tenth time dealing with him. I picked up paci and told him that if he didn't need paci anymore then it was going away.
And that my friends is where the story ends! Cannon gave up his paci cold turkey that night without a fight!
ps...I did let Cannon keep having Orie at night and did promise Aaron that we wouldn't allow him to take it off to college with him! :)



