Thursday, August 12, 2010

Go Away Ear Infections!!

Trust me when I say that I was prepared to have a sick baby more often since he was in daycare; however, nobody can prepare you for just how often those sick episodes come along.  Cannon had several reoccurring ear infections his first year of life but enough is enough.  I finally broke down and took him to both an ENT doctor as well as an allergist.  Turns out, Cannon does have some seasonal allergies and the multiple ear infections could keep coming if we don't put tubes in his ears to help the drainage.

Well, the day came for surgery.  I was a nervous wreak plus we had to bring Caroline to the surgery center since our appointment was at 7:00am.  We all arrived and Cannon was a wonderful patient.  He got his vitals taken than got to walk around a little before they took him back.  Aaron, Caroline and I were in the waiting room not more than thirty minutes when they called us all back to go be with Cannon in recovery.  This is when I lost it!  To walk in and see your baby boy with an oxygen mask on and sound asleep from all the anesthesia broke my heart into tiny pieces.  I stood next to his bed with his hand in mine.  The doctor came in to talk to us as well as the nurse, all while Cannon was out.  The nurse assured me he would awake very soon and he might cry for a moment or might not.  About that time, Cannon's eyes opened.  He looked around and immediately started to cry.  I brought his best friend Orie with us and of course we didn't leave home without his paci!  Between those two comforting things and the secure feeling of his mommas arms wrapped tight around him, Cannon only was unhappy momentarily.  The recovery room we were in was for kids so they had a rocking chair in there and it helped out so much.  I don't think I stopped holding Cannon in my arms for what felt like hours.  I didn't want my precious little boy to be scared.

We were back in the car and headed home before 9:00am.  Since I had taken the day off to be with Cannon, that is just what I did.  We stopped and dropped Caroline off at daycare so Cannon could get lots of love and attention from his momma!  It was a great rest of the day!

Multiple ear infections results in tubes.

Tubes result in less or no more ear infections.

Final result.....a happier little boy named Cannon!


Patient Identification!