Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Our Labor Day Fun

Yeah, a three day weekend!!  An extra day to spend with the kiddos.  I wanted to soak up all the time I could having fun and enjoying the last weeks of the summer.

The extra day was hard for me not to take Saturday to myself, stay in bed and not make contact with the world.  I was coming off of a week of being sick with bronchis AND a bad haircut!  Nothing like a bad haircut to ruin your entire day, week and month!  I brushed off  my sadness (and sickness) and got up bright and early for a pedicure on Saturday.  Just what this momma needed to start the weekend off right.  Once home, we packed up the wagon and headed to the pool.  Of course, we are usually there earlier in the day and can enjoy the pool to ourselves but this day we enjoyed the pool with a couple of dozen other neighbors.  Cannon and Caroline love watching the big kids.  Cannon made me watch as he told me he knew how to dive so with his floating firmly attached to his arms and around his chest, he jumped up out of the water and came back down only to put his face in the water and say, see mommy, I can dive now.  His accomplishment made me proud.  Ha!

After the pool, we headed home for showers and naps.  I could tell Cannon didn't get enough (dive) time at the pool so I knew napping was going to be a battle.  What do we do when that happens....put him in the car and start driving.  Yep, works everytime!  I had to go to the island and so I loaded Cannon up and he was asleep before we got out of the neighborhood.  Now, your thinking this made me happy, which it did, but there was just one thing I was scared of.  To convince him to go with me, I had to bribe him with a trip to Target to buy a new monster truck.  And yes, that works everytime too except when your son sleeps the entire time you need to be gone and wakes up the second you pull back into the garage.  ERRR!  Cannon literally opened his eyes and said, "are we at Target?"  So back out of the garage I drove and headed to Target.

Once back from an unplanned (but always needed) trip to Target, we regrouped and went bowling.  I have feared this outing for sometime.  Our sweet but extreme energetic, Caroline is the person I couldn't see having the attention span of bowling.  Well, I was right.  She thought every turn was hers and every ball was hers too.  This kind of determination from a two year-old doesn't work well when her brother has the same intentions.  So our bowling adventure proved that we need to wait a little bit longer before attempting the outing again..........or just take one child at a time.

On Sunday we headed to the island for some Labor Day fun at Lawton Stables.  Cannon was brave and actually rode a pony for the first time.  As proud as I was of Cannon, I did have a freak out moment when he (and Caroline) had to wear the safety helmets that had been worn by about a thousand sweaty kids.  YES, I'm "that" mom!   The weather was gorgeous and we soaked up a lot of fun before loading back into the car for some much needed cool air.

Monday was our lazy day around the house.  We never get tired of our lazy days.  Of course, you can't be too lazy with a two and three year-old!