Monday, July 16, 2012

No Clue

This post does not contain any photos but that won't stop me from making sure the events from this past weekend aren't forgotten.

This story begins on Friday morning with my normal RUSH to work.  I feel like a superstar if I can get the kids into school and get back out to my car within five minutes.  Anything longer that that time frame means that I dealt with a 3 year-old who wasn't cooperative or a 2 year-old that cried and clung to my leg while trying to get away.  Today though, none of those things happened and it was a great start to what seemed to be a beautiful day.  Here is where I will insert the deejay on the radio mentioning the bible verse of Proverbs 3-5:6.

Now fast forward ten minutes from the great drop off of the kids........my car dies while driving and I'm one block from the office.  This was a blessing because I work with a great group of people who are like family.  The head of our Building & Grounds crew come along with the head of Facilities.  They try to see if they can get my car started but it wasn't successful.  Then a couple of other guys came with our Building & Grounds crew and tried some other tricks but again, not successful.  They then pushed my car down the road and into the parking lot of Town Hall where I work.  I called for a tow truck and begged God to hear my prayers that it wasn't going to cost a lot of money to fix and it be fixed before taking a trip the NEXT day to Florida to see Aaron's family.  While praying, I also didn't forget to cry A LOT of happy tears letting God know how grateful I was that this all happened without my kids being involved.  The tow truck got my car at 12:45pm and by 1:30pm I had gotten a call that my car was fixed and ready to be picked up.  Life was back to normal.

Another fast forward to what was a great visit with Aaron's family.  We said our goodbyes on Sunday evening and started to make the 3½ hour drive north back to South Carolina.  We first, however, had to drop off Grandma W. at the airport in Jacksonville.  We said more goodbyes and continued with our trip. 

At about 7:30/8:00pm and being on the road for not more than a couple of hours, I asked Cannon if he needed to go potty.  He said yes so we proceeded to the next (well lite) exit with well known places to stop.  While on the exit ramp, my car starts acting up again and we quickly notice the transmission is slipping and won't drive properly.

Once again, within 36 hours, I'm begging God to protect us, help us (emotionally for me) and praying how we are going to get home.  We were still an 1½ away from home.  With no other option than to drive 5 mph to the closest hotel, we decided it was our only option.

Staying in a hotel was fun for the kids so they were up at the crack of dawn.  Aaron took them to breakfast while I called Nissan.  Once again, I was reminded of how I should never, EVER, forget how God's mercy is given in His perfect timing.  Nissan told us that the transmission had been recalled and all expenses were covered including the rental car to get us home.

We arrived home Monday afternoon but not until after seeing a tow truck (Cannon's FAVORITE part of this trip) tow away mommy's truck.

Remember the bible verse I heard on the way to work Friday morning?

 "Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding; In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will make your paths straight." 

This verse is one of my favorites!  I have a plaque on my desk that I have had since 1999.  I have taken it to every job I've had and it reminds me everyday....even when broken down with two toddlers on the side of the interstate, miles and miles away from home with no clean clothes and nobody to call to pick us up, GOD IS GOOD!  Period!  End of story!